Posted on January 13, 2009 - by Khaled
Typography is much more than just using a given font with a given size, style or weight! It is an important component of Web Design and a powerful communication tool. Here’s a collection of useful links to some interesting, articles, books, slideshows, resources and portfolios about this amazing domain of Typography.
13 Articles You should read:
Reading these articles will help better choose your fonts, their sizes etc., along with learning some very useful tips and tricks and necessary theoretical knowledge.
– 8 Definitive Web Font Stacks : A nice article written by Michael Tuck and published by SitePoint.
– Better web typography: Published by .net magazine and written by Craig Grannell.
– A Not-So-Sweet Tale of Digital Type: Written by Andrew Twigg and published by AIGA.
– Typography Matters: An old, yet quite educating, article by Erin Kissane published by A List Apart.
– Web Typography Cheat Sheet: A typography cheat sheet published by Modern Life and written by Stuart Brown.
– Web Design is 95% Typography: An oliver Reichenstein published on information architects.
– Better Font Management: Written by Joel Sacks and published by Digital Web.
– The Principles of Beautiful Typography : An awesome article by Jason Beaird published on SitePoint
– Typography and Web Advertising: Making Every Opportunity Count: This one is dealing with the special case of typography for Web advertising. Also published by Digital Web and written by Alexander White.
– The Anatomy of Web Fonts: Andy Hume’s article.
– Top Ten Web Typography Sins
– 16 Best-Loved Font Bits In Web Design
– Create a font Part I and Part II : an outstanding article from I love Typography
6 Slides about typography you must see:
Easy to visualize slideshows (thanks to slideshare) that will let you rapidly learn nice facts about typography.
– Beautiful Web Typography: 7 tips on de-sucking the web by Simon Klein.
– Elegant Web Typography: The typography speech of Jeff Croft from Web Directions South (September 2008) in Sydney.
– Better Typography: Nice slides by famous Mark Boulton.
– Typography: Past & Future I
– Typography: Past & Future II
– Typography: The last Secret Weapon.
5 Books about typography you should read:
Probably the best books arounf about typography in my opinion. Read them and you will learn tons!
– The Elements of Typographic Style
– Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students
– Designing Type
– Type: The Secret History of Letters
– The Complete Manual of Typography
26 Inspiration, resources & Portfolios you should look at and bookmark:
Showcases, Artists portfolios, tutorials, Addons, guides, blogs, inspiration galleries, and outstanding typography sites with a lot of noteworthy typography resources.
– Words Are Pictures
– Alison Carmichael
– The Type Directors Club
– Typographic Posters
– Best typefaces of 2008
– A guide to Web Typography
– I love Typography
– The Font Feed
– Sexy, Bold And Experimental Typography
– Typography In Motion
– On snot and fonts
– Mark EastMan archive
– How to recognize a font? A mini guide to successful Font recognition
– Identify that Font
– Font Finder: A firefox/Thunderbird addon that will help you get styles of selected text.
– Free Fonts
– exljbris Font Foundry
– Font Wrek
– FontStruct : Build, share and download fonts.
– Type Foundry
– NovemberBorn sIFR
– Finally you may want to take a look at some nice videos about Typography posted on Vimeo.
I hope these collection of links will help you better understand and better use fonts for a nicer typography and better web design practices! These links may be useful either you are creating web sites or print work.
If you like the article bookmark it and digg it! Don’t forget to subscribe via RSS or E-mail. Or just follow me on Twitter!