Posted on March 29, 2006 - by Khaled
yourself one question “Which hosting company is trustable ?”.To answer this question may be you can look at it in a different way and ask yourself how can I trust a webhost ? what do I look for in host to see if they are trustable or not ?I have been looking for hosts and switching from one another for more than five years, the strategy I came up with is the following:
– I visit their web site see how it looks clean ? tidy ? Professional ? Well yes the look and the design are not too important I guess but it has to be decent not very nice or something that matches my taste or style but just something decent ! it is not very important ! but most of the reputable and honest hosts have clean designs ! if you find a site with a cheap template site that you have seen for a 1000000 times and that costs $5 sorry but the company using it will loose some credibility in my opinion, this is just a point that may add a little something to the overall feel ! that’s all
– I then look to the contact options existing : Phones ? Faxes ? Postal Mail ? Support Desk ? Help/Contact through IM !! Here the most important thing is the phone !
– After that, I read carefully the About section what information they put in there ? are there names ? is it credible ? trustable ? How long have they been in hosting business ? Any information about their servers ? their network ? their datacenters ?
– The next step is to search on google for links to them and reviews about them ! see what people or other sites say about them ? if you don’t find anything or just a little information with this it is not a very goos sign.
– I try to look into their forums (if any) or to ask about them in some big hosting forums
– I gather all what I knew about them Next step is to contact them and this lets me:
– See how long they will take to answer ?
– How is their answer ? are they interested and passionate or just doing this because it is a must ? Are they polite ?
– I ask them some questions:
* How many people work in there ?
* How many in the support crew ? their qualifications ?
* How many Servers ? what Specs ? How old ? where are the datacenters ? the speeds of their Internet backbones ?
* How often do u back up ? How do u back up ?
* What if I needed help at midnight in christmas? is your support really 24/7 ?
* What if I had a script I can’t install would you help ?
* What if I exceeded my Diskspace or Bandwidth ?
* How long will you wait for me if I forgot to pay my bill or was out of town at the payment date ?
* What if I wanted to move to another host ? Can I do it anytime ?
Well, I guess now that you have a good idea about how to proceed to search for a trustable host, this is how I’ve learned to proceed after so many failures in choosing a good host. Good luck !